Pick Up Artist
PUA – Pick-Up Artist.
The seduction community, also known as the pick-up artist, PUA, or pickup community, is a movement of men whose goal is seduction and sexual success with/access to women. Members of the community are often referred to as "pickup artists" (PUA). The community exists through Internet newsletters and weblogs, marketing (e.g. banner ads, seminars, one-on-one coaching), forums and groups, as well as over a hundred local clubs, known as "lairs".
The rise of "seduction science", "game", or "studied charisma", as it is often called, has been attributed to the "chaotic" modern dating scene reportedly as a result of the increased empowerment and equality of women in western society and changes to traditional gender roles combined with the influence of distinct biological imperatives in men and women. Commentators in the media have described "game" as sexist or misogynistic. Some people have acknowledged that the techniques espoused do sometimes succeed in attracting women.
- http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-depth/winging-it/2007/01/28/1169919210771.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2, Winging it, 29 January 2007
- Inside Red Pill, The Weird New Cult For Men Who Don't Understand Women, http://www.businessinsider.com/the-red-pill-reddit-2013-8, Business Insider, Dylan Love (September 15, 2013)
- Hymowitz, Kay S., "Love in the Time of Darwinism", City Journal, Autumn 2008
- http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/05/misogyny-and-mental-illness-are-very-different.html, There’s a Difference Between Misogyny and Severe Mental Illness, Jesse Singal Jesse (28 May 2014), New York magazine
- Conor Friedersdorf, Some I Insult, Some I Let Go, http://trueslant.com/conorfriedersdorf/2009/07/22/some-i-insult-some-i-let-go/ (22 July 2009)
It’s not a good time to be a pick-up artist, or the sort of bloke who relies on his “wisdom”, or whatever it is you’d call that noxious guff they emit on a regular basis, like a cow with irritable bowels. On one hand you’ve got Julien Blanc, provoking such a strong backlash with his seminars on using violence to attract women that he’s literally being thrown out of countries. On the other, you’ve got the Dapper Laughs, with his ITV2 show about how to chat up women being cancelled, along with several live events, following a campaign and footage of him saying some horrific things to a woman at one of his gigs.