The Alt-Left (also CTRL-Left) is a term that The New York Times claims was made up by the right to create a sense of false equivalence between the far right and "anything vaguely left-seeming that they didn't like." The term was originally coined by Robert A. Lindsay to describe some on the far-left moving away from identity and social justice politics and moving towards focusing more on Economic Populism. It also originated as a term used by centrist and moderate Democrats against the Far-left people within the party (as well as left-aligned independents) who support "progressive ideals" (like pushing Seth Rich murder conspiracies, praising Assad, claiming chemical attacks were false flags, and still denying that Russia meddled in the US election). The term has even been used by Hannity to describe mainstream media.
The term "regressive left" is often used as a substitute for "alt-left" and a shitty insult for the far-right to use against the far-left ("see? the Left has crazies, too!"). However, the original meaning of the term "regressive left" was as a political epithet against liberals/leftists who allegedly fail to criticize reactionary or ideologically authoritarian elements within radical Islam -- or Islam in general, depending on who you talk to -- in the name of tolerance, multiculturalism, diversity and/or other forms of alleged Cultural Marxism. The term has also seen some use in leftists who are (seen as being) too friendly towards authoritarian regimes as long as they profess to be "anti-imperialist".
- Alt-Right, Alt-Left, Antifa: A Glossary of Extremist Language by Liam Stack (Aug. 15, 2017) New York Times.
- Here’s the best thing the media can do when reporting on ‘antifa’ by Margaret Sullivan (September 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM) The Washington Post.
- Sean Hannity: Alt-left media killed journalism in quest to bury Trump (March 16, 2017) Fox News.
- Sean Hannity: Alt-left media pushes Russia fantasy despite no evidence (March 14, 2017) Fox News.
Alt-Left —1) People, who ban other's freedom of speech, because they feel "uncomfortable" hearing different opinions.
2) People, who physically assault other individuals, and damage both public and private property in the name of "peace" and "love".
3) People, who care more about their selfish desires and arrogant views than about the country they live in.
Why is everyone so supportive of alt-left destroying our nation? When will finally someone stop those alt-left terrorists?
Alt-Left —Researchers who study extremist groups in the United States say there is no such thing as the “alt-left.” Mark Pitcavage, an analyst at the Anti-Defamation League, said the word had been made up to create a false equivalence between the far right and “anything vaguely left-seeming that they didn’t like.”
Some centrist liberals have taken to using this term.
“It did not arise organically, and it refers to no actual group or movement or network,” Mr. Pitcavage said in an email. “It’s just a made-up epithet, similar to certain people calling any news they don’t like ‘fake news.’”
On Tuesday, Mr. Trump said the “alt-left” was partly to blame for the Charlottesville violence, during which a counterprotester, Heather D. Heyer, was killed.